A rare, genuine and particularly high quality Ancient Gandharan sculpture, dating to approximately 300 A.D. Part of a larger narrative frieze, portraying two powerfully built men with broad chests between a central column. Both figures well modelled, the figure on the left with his hands on his thighs, as if resting, whilst the figure on the right holds his left hand upwards to support some heavy structure. A central column with scroll work adorns the centre. The pose is reminiscent of Atlas, carrying the earth on his shoulders, a well-known and popular Ancient Greek myth.
Length and height of frieze alone: 12.3/4 inches x 5 inches.
Condition: Excellent. Unrestored. Mounted as shown.
Provenance: London market in the 1950's- 1980's.
Shipping: Contact us for exact shipping rate prior to making your payment.
Shipping and Terms & Conditions
- PLEASE WAIT FOR INVOICE BEFORE MAKING YOUR PAYMENT SO WE CAN CALCULATE AND INCLUDE TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS.
- CANADIAN BUYERS PAY APPLICABLE TAXES. More information about how we apply taxes.
- We ship within 3-5 business days of receiving payment.
- Items are guaranteed to be authentic and as described. For additional security, we offer a money-back guarantee should a recognized authority argue the authenticity of any item sold.
- We strive to be fair and specific in our descriptions. Please read each auction and bid carefully, as all sales are final.
- Shipping and handling fees are non-refundable. Restocking and other fees may be applicable as well.
- We do not offer refunds unless an item is inadvertently misrepresented (see above). Should a refund be given, it will be only for the cost of the item.
- We will make every attempt to resolve the issue if we inadvertently make a mistake (it happens). If you have any questions, pre- or post-purchase, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- International Buyers: please note that import duties, taxes, and other charges are not included in the item price or shipping fees. These costs are the buyer’s responsibility. We describe items correctly on customs forms.
- In some cases, we are able to combine multiple items to save shipping costs. If you plan to purchase more than one item, delay payment and contact us after you have purchased the first item. Otherwise, all items are sent following cleared payment.