Ancient European Bronze Age Sickle Blade - 1200 BC
Very good condition considering it is over 3000 years old!
- Item # 339577
- Qty Available 1
This cast bronze sickle, with grooved edges, is of typical middle Bronze Age form. With the tang for insertion into an original wooden handle, now long perished.
Sickles such as this were first developed in the Neolithic and were made of flint. They were traditionally used for cutting crops or clearing vegetation. However, it is probable that this fine example was made as a ritual object and never intended for use, subsequently being buried in a large votive deposit or hoard. Indeed the ceremonial burial of a very high quality implement such as this may have been performed in order to increase the chance of a successful harvest.
These artefacts were often deposited in rivers, springs and bogs, likely because of connections with a watery underworld. Who exactly the gods of ancient European people were at this time is not known, but attention has been drawn to a series of carved wooden figures from wetland contexts across Europe that may be representations of divine beings.
This fascinating piece encapsulates many aspects of ancient European life, from ritual and religious behaviors to the growth of the crucial bronze working industry.
Condition: Very good. With an attractive dark green patina, unrestored.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require more photographs to evaluate condition.
- If you live in the GTA, we can arrange pickup so you save on shipping costs.
- If you are interested in just a single item from our wholesale lots, we'll do our best to accommodate your request – just let us know what item you are interested in.
Shipping and Terms & Conditions
- PLEASE WAIT FOR INVOICE BEFORE MAKING YOUR PAYMENT SO WE CAN CALCULATE AND INCLUDE TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS.
- CANADIAN BUYERS PAY APPLICABLE TAXES. More information about how we apply taxes.
- We ship within 3-5 business days of receiving payment.
- Items are guaranteed to be authentic and as described. For additional security, we offer a money-back guarantee should a recognized authority argue the authenticity of any item sold.
- We strive to be fair and specific in our descriptions. Please read each auction and bid carefully, as all sales are final.
- Shipping and handling fees are non-refundable. Restocking and other fees may be applicable as well.
- We do not offer refunds unless an item is inadvertently misrepresented (see above). Should a refund be given, it will be only for the cost of the item.
- We will make every attempt to resolve the issue if we inadvertently make a mistake (it happens). If you have any questions, pre- or post-purchase, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- International Buyers: please note that import duties, taxes, and other charges are not included in the item price or shipping fees. These costs are the buyer’s responsibility. We describe items correctly on customs forms.
- In some cases, we are able to combine multiple items to save shipping costs. If you plan to purchase more than one item, delay payment and contact us after you have purchased the first item. Otherwise, all items are sent following cleared payment.