RARE 2 Volume ARCTIC EXPLORATIONS: The Second Grinnell Expedition - 1st Edition
In Search Of Sir John Franklin, 1853, 54, 55' By Elisha Kent Kane, Illustrated
- Item # 348417
- Qty Available 1
Offered for sale today is a rare 2 volume set of the first edition 1856 ' ARCTIC EXPLORATIONS - THE SECOND GRINNELL EXPLORATION IN SEARCH OF SIR JOHN FRANKLIN, 1853, 54, 55' By Elisha Kent Kane.
These highly collectible books are iillustrated throughout by the author with amazing engravings. Published by Childs & Peterson, Philadelphia, 1856, 1856.
Book Condition: USED. Two Volume Set - 1st Edition - AVERAGE Condition considerable wear to the covers - particularly volume one. Tears on the spine and markings on the front cover of volume 2. But the insides of the books are like new. Complete with all maps and engravings and in perfect shape inside. Solid Hinges, No Interior Foxing - Complete with frontice portraits (Kane and Grinnell) - 3 engraved maps (two fold out), 18 steel-engraved plates, and nearly 300 engravings throughout the text from sketches done by the author.
Kane was the senior medical officer of an unsuccessful search for explorer Sir John Franklin in 1850 and 1851. He organized a second rescue expedition in 1853, and wintered in Rensselaer Bay. Suffering from scurvy, and at times near death, he penetrated farther north than any previous explorer.
Kane was forced to abandon his icebound ship (the Advance) and began a grueling, but successful 83-day march with his crew Upernavik. The party, carrying the invalids, lost only one man during the march. Kane returned to New York 11 October 1855 and the following year published the story of this adventure.
The stand and the bookends used for the photographs are not included in the price. It's a great set of books worthy of your collection!
If you are interested in the bookends, they are for sale: Large Solid Brass Horse Head Bookends
Feel free to evaluate its condition from the detailed photographs. If you have any questions about its condition, or would you like to review higher resolution photographs, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Looking for more? We are avid collectors of rare, vintage and antique books. Check often our marketplace as we often bring up for sale some of our own, among a great selection from other book vendors.
Shipping and Terms & Conditions
- PLEASE WAIT FOR INVOICE BEFORE MAKING YOUR PAYMENT SO WE CAN CALCULATE AND INCLUDE TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS.
- CANADIAN BUYERS PAY APPLICABLE TAXES. More information about how we apply taxes.
- We ship within 3-5 business days of receiving payment.
- Items are guaranteed to be authentic and as described. For additional security, we offer a money-back guarantee should a recognized authority argue the authenticity of any item sold.
- We strive to be fair and specific in our descriptions. Please read each auction and bid carefully, as all sales are final.
- Shipping and handling fees are non-refundable. Restocking and other fees may be applicable as well.
- We do not offer refunds unless an item is inadvertently misrepresented (see above). Should a refund be given, it will be only for the cost of the item.
- We will make every attempt to resolve the issue if we inadvertently make a mistake (it happens). If you have any questions, pre- or post-purchase, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- International Buyers: please note that import duties, taxes, and other charges are not included in the item price or shipping fees. These costs are the buyer’s responsibility. We describe items correctly on customs forms.
- In some cases, we are able to combine multiple items to save shipping costs. If you plan to purchase more than one item, delay payment and contact us after you have purchased the first item. Otherwise, all items are sent following cleared payment.