Kanak Bird Head War Club, New Caledonia
Melanesia. Hardwood. 19th to early 20th century
- Item # 366006
- Qty Available 1
Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of the Kanak people with this extraordinary New Caledonia Kanak Bird Head War Club dating 19th to early 20th century. Crafted by the skilled artisans of the Kanak people, this war club represents a powerful symbol of their traditions, resilience, and artistic prowess.
Carved with utmost precision and reverence, this war club (called the "bird beak" club) prominently features the iconic bird head motif, a hallmark of Kanak weaponry. The bird head, meticulously detailed and masterfully shaped, reflects the deep spiritual connection the Kanak people have with nature and their avian allies. Holding this war club in your hands evokes a profound sensory experience—its smooth surface invites your touch, while the weight of the club bears testament to its solid craftsmanship.
Fashioned from resilient hardwood, this war club is not only a stunning display piece but also a formidable weapon. Its sturdy construction ensures durability, allowing it to withstand the rigors of combat or ceremonial performances. The ergonomically designed handle provides a secure and comfortable grip, enabling precise control and swift maneuvering in the heat of battle.
The New Caledonia Kanak Bird Head War Club holds great cultural significance for the Kanak people. Throughout history, war clubs were essential tools for self-defense, warfare, and ceremonies, embodying the Kanak warriors' bravery and protecting their communities. Holding this remarkable artifact, you can feel the weight of its history and appreciate the craftsmanship that went into its creation.
Did you know? Due to their historical significance, cultural value, and artistic appeal, Kanak Bird Head War Clubs have become sought-after collector's items. Art enthusiasts, historians, and tribal art collectors are captivated by the craftsmanship, symbolic meaning, and the story behind each war club, making them highly prized pieces.
Dimensions: Height 23.25 in.
Condition: Missing a small piece of the beak head at the back, a few thin cracks due to its considerable age. Otherwise looks great and feels great in your hand. The tactile experience and weight of the war club are a testament to its quality and historical significance.
A Bird Head War Club similar to the one mentioned can be found in the collection of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. You can explore it further on their website at https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/318553.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require more photographs to evaluate condition.
- If you live in the GTA, we can arrange pickup so you save on shipping costs.
- If you are interested in selling something similar - we buy, one item or an entire collection, please contact us.
Shipping and Terms & Conditions
- PLEASE WAIT FOR INVOICE BEFORE MAKING YOUR PAYMENT SO WE CAN CALCULATE AND INCLUDE TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS.
- CANADIAN BUYERS PAY APPLICABLE TAXES. More information about how we apply taxes.
- We ship within 3-5 business days of receiving payment.
- Items are guaranteed to be authentic and as described. For additional security, we offer a money-back guarantee should a recognized authority argue the authenticity of any item sold.
- We strive to be fair and specific in our descriptions. Please read each auction and bid carefully, as all sales are final.
- Shipping and handling fees are non-refundable. Restocking and other fees may be applicable as well.
- We do not offer refunds unless an item is inadvertently misrepresented (see above). Should a refund be given, it will be only for the cost of the item.
- We will make every attempt to resolve the issue if we inadvertently make a mistake (it happens). If you have any questions, pre- or post-purchase, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- International Buyers: please note that import duties, taxes, and other charges are not included in the item price or shipping fees. These costs are the buyer’s responsibility. We describe items correctly on customs forms.
- In some cases, we are able to combine multiple items to save shipping costs. If you plan to purchase more than one item, delay payment and contact us after you have purchased the first item. Otherwise, all items are sent following cleared payment.