Solomon Islands Canoe Carvings (Lot of 2)
Known as Nguzu Nguzu, Musu Musu, or Toto Isu
- Item # 380541
- Qty Available 1
A distinctive figurehead commonly referred to as a nguzu nguzu, musu musu, or toto isu. During expeditions, it was affixed to the canoe's prow at the waterline and held for supernatural protection. Notice how the large heads hold the small heads underneath. Crafted from beautiful textured wood with mother of pearl inlay. Both are in great condition, with one of them missing a small piece of mother of pearl near the eye.
The MET Museum has a similar piece on display, although much older.
Find more tribal art in the marketplace. If you are looking to sell, one item or an entire collection, please contact us.
- Please evaluate their condition from the detailed photographs. If you have any questions about condition, or would you like to review higher resolution photographs, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- If you live in the GTA, we can arrange pickup so you save on shipping costs
Shipping and Terms & Conditions
- PLEASE WAIT FOR INVOICE BEFORE MAKING YOUR PAYMENT SO WE CAN CALCULATE AND INCLUDE TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS.
- CANADIAN BUYERS PAY APPLICABLE TAXES. More information about how we apply taxes.
- We ship within 3-5 business days of receiving payment.
- Items are guaranteed to be authentic and as described. For additional security, we offer a money-back guarantee should a recognized authority argue the authenticity of any item sold.
- We strive to be fair and specific in our descriptions. Please read each auction and bid carefully, as all sales are final.
- Shipping and handling fees are non-refundable. Restocking and other fees may be applicable as well.
- We do not offer refunds unless an item is inadvertently misrepresented (see above). Should a refund be given, it will be only for the cost of the item.
- We will make every attempt to resolve the issue if we inadvertently make a mistake (it happens). If you have any questions, pre- or post-purchase, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- International Buyers: please note that import duties, taxes, and other charges are not included in the item price or shipping fees. These costs are the buyer’s responsibility. We describe items correctly on customs forms.
- In some cases, we are able to combine multiple items to save shipping costs. If you plan to purchase more than one item, delay payment and contact us after you have purchased the first item. Otherwise, all items are sent following cleared payment.