Antique French Pattern 1831 Artillery Gladius Short Sword
In its original brass mounted leather scabbard.
- Item # 415998
- Qty Available 1
Being sold today is an antique French pattern 1831 artillery Gladius short sword in its original brass mounted leather scabbard.
The sword's single-edged, straight blade is 22 inches in length and 1.25 inches in width. Both the hilt of the M1831 sword and the pommel are made of brass. The sword's neo-classical design is inspired on the Roman Gladius sword. The guard of the sword consists of a brass crossbar with circular quillons. The stands used in the photographs are not included.
Prized by fans of military history and edged weapons, it is in great condition and it will make a great addition to any militaria collection.
The early 19th century sword was intended to be used to fight in close quarters combat, but it proved to be a versatile tool that could be used also for cutting and digging. The sword was indeed used as a tool for cutting and clearing brush and foliage, which gained its nickname as coupe-choux in French or cabbage cutter in English. While its nickname is somewhat disparaging, the M1831 sword proved to be an effective weapon in close combat situations and was used by French artillerymen in several conflicts of the mid-19th century.
- Feel free to evaluate its condition from the detailed photographs. If you have any questions about its condition, or would you like to review higher resolution photographs, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- If you live in the GTA, we can arrange pickup so you save on shipping costs.
- If you are interested in selling a similar item - we buy, one item or an entire collection. Please contact us.
Shipping and Terms & Conditions
- PLEASE WAIT FOR INVOICE BEFORE MAKING YOUR PAYMENT SO WE CAN CALCULATE AND INCLUDE TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS, WHERE APPLICABLE.
- CANADIAN BUYERS PAY APPLICABLE TAXES. More information about how we apply taxes.
- We ship within 3-5 business days of receiving payment.
- Items are guaranteed to be authentic and as described. For additional security, we offer a money-back guarantee should a recognized authority argue the authenticity of any item sold.
- We strive to be fair and specific in our descriptions. Please read each auction and bid carefully, as all sales are final.
- Shipping and handling fees are non-refundable. Restocking and other fees may be applicable as well.
- We do not offer refunds unless an item is inadvertently misrepresented (see above). Should a refund be given, it will be only for the cost of the item.
- We will make every attempt to resolve the issue if we inadvertently make a mistake (it happens). If you have any questions, pre- or post-purchase, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- International Buyers: please note that import duties, taxes, and other charges are not included in the item price or shipping fees. These costs are the buyer’s responsibility. We describe items correctly on customs forms.
- In some cases, we are able to combine multiple items to save shipping costs. If you plan to purchase more than one item, delay payment and contact us after you have purchased the first item. Otherwise, all items are sent following cleared payment.