Antique Purse Coin Bank
Made of cast iron, circa 1880s. Rare!
- Item # 422539
- Qty Available 1
Now up for sale is an antique purse coin bank circa 1880, made of cast iron. A rare item to come by. In the past 10 years we have seen just 2 appear in the marketplace and this is one of them. Cast iron was a popular material for piggy banks in the late 19th century because it was durable and could be molded into a variety of shapes and designs.
One side is inscribed with: Put Money In Thy Purse, and on the other side: Pat Apld For
It's in good condition for its age and it most likely have seen usage in the hands of a kid. In the listing, we have included high resolution photographs to evaluate condition as well as a video.
This antique coin bank has a zigzag opening at the bottom, which is referred to as a "trap" or "lock." The purpose of this feature was to make it more difficult for children to access their savings without adult supervision. You can find this exact coin bank listed in the Penny Bank Book by Andy & Susan Moore on page 121 at #1266.
About These Purse Coint Banks
Like the piggy banks, purse banks typically have a slot on top for coins and a small door on the bottom for retrieving them. Purse banks were especially popular with young girls, who could save their coins in a bank that looked like a miniature version of their own purses.
Why are antique coin banks so collectible?
- Historical significance: Antique coin banks were often used by children in the past to save money, and they can offer a glimpse into the past and the way people lived. They can be seen as historical artifacts that represent a specific time period and cultural values.
- Unique designs: Many antique piggy banks were created with unique designs (in our case, in the shape of a purse). They were often made of materials such as cast iron, pottery, and glass.
- Nostalgia: For many collectors, antique coin banks evoke feelings of nostalgia and childhood memories. They may have had a piggy bank as a child or remember seeing one in their grandparents' house, and collecting these items can help them feel connected to their past.
- Investment potential: Some antique coin banks can be quite valuable, particularly if they are rare or in good condition. Collectors may be interested in these items as a potential investment opportunity, as they can appreciate in value over time.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require more photographs to evaluate condition.
- If you live in the GTA, we can arrange pickup so you save on shipping costs.
- If you are interested in selling something similar - we buy, one item or an entire collection, please contact us.
Shipping and Terms & Conditions
- PLEASE WAIT FOR INVOICE BEFORE MAKING YOUR PAYMENT SO WE CAN CALCULATE AND INCLUDE TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS.
- CANADIAN BUYERS PAY APPLICABLE TAXES. More information about how we apply taxes.
- We ship within 3-5 business days of receiving payment.
- Items are guaranteed to be authentic and as described. For additional security, we offer a money-back guarantee should a recognized authority argue the authenticity of any item sold.
- We strive to be fair and specific in our descriptions. Please read each auction and bid carefully, as all sales are final.
- Shipping and handling fees are non-refundable. Restocking and other fees may be applicable as well.
- We do not offer refunds unless an item is inadvertently misrepresented (see above). Should a refund be given, it will be only for the cost of the item.
- We will make every attempt to resolve the issue if we inadvertently make a mistake (it happens). If you have any questions, pre- or post-purchase, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- International Buyers: please note that import duties, taxes, and other charges are not included in the item price or shipping fees. These costs are the buyer’s responsibility. We describe items correctly on customs forms.
- In some cases, we are able to combine multiple items to save shipping costs. If you plan to purchase more than one item, delay payment and contact us after you have purchased the first item. Otherwise, all items are sent following cleared payment.