A Japanese Ivory Okimono of Daikoku Riding A Rat, 19th Century
Painstakingly crafted with unparalleled attention to even the smallest details.
- Item # 425150
- Qty Available 1
On the market today is a Japanese ivory Okimono of Daikoku riding a rat, 19th century. Crafted with exceptional attention to detail, ensuring that every aspect is meticulously sculpted and perfected. Depictions of Daikoku with rats became a common theme in the creation of okimono during the 19th century, as the rat was seen as a symbol of good fortune and prosperity, while Daikoku was believed to bring wealth and abundance.
Condition: Great, complete, with a beautiful patina and a few small hairline cracks - a good indication of its age.
Daikoku is a deity of wealth, agriculture, and commerce, and is often depicted riding a large black rat. It represents the deity's ability to bring wealth and prosperity, as well as his close association with the natural world and the abundance of the harvest. It is a powerful symbol of good fortune and prosperity that has been popular in Japanese culture for centuries. Okimono is a Japanese carving, similar to, but larger than a netsuke.
Note: This is a unique, hand-carved item. Please look at all photos closely to evaluate its condition as this is the exact item you will receive. Lots of closeups included.
It will certainly elevate the ambiance of any space. A true attention-grabber that is sure to impress.
This listing is subject to export control and cannot be exported from Canada. The import or export of goods containing ivory, whale bone, sealskin, or items made from other endangered or protected species is often prohibited or restricted, and the import or export of such goods frequently calls for specific licenses or permissions. The purchaser is in charge of ensuring that the item is correctly and legally exported or imported. For further information, don't hesitate to get in touch with one of our experts.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require more photographs to evaluate condition.
- If you live in the GTA, we can arrange pickup so you save on shipping costs.
- If you are interested in selling something similar - we buy, one item or an entire collection, please contact us.
Shipping and Terms & Conditions
- PLEASE WAIT FOR INVOICE BEFORE MAKING YOUR PAYMENT SO WE CAN CALCULATE AND INCLUDE TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS.
- CANADIAN BUYERS PAY APPLICABLE TAXES. More information about how we apply taxes.
- We ship within 3-5 business days of receiving payment.
- Items are guaranteed to be authentic and as described. For additional security, we offer a money-back guarantee should a recognized authority argue the authenticity of any item sold.
- We strive to be fair and specific in our descriptions. Please read each auction and bid carefully, as all sales are final.
- Shipping and handling fees are non-refundable. Restocking and other fees may be applicable as well.
- We do not offer refunds unless an item is inadvertently misrepresented (see above). Should a refund be given, it will be only for the cost of the item.
- We will make every attempt to resolve the issue if we inadvertently make a mistake (it happens). If you have any questions, pre- or post-purchase, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- International Buyers: please note that import duties, taxes, and other charges are not included in the item price or shipping fees. These costs are the buyer’s responsibility. We describe items correctly on customs forms.
- In some cases, we are able to combine multiple items to save shipping costs. If you plan to purchase more than one item, delay payment and contact us after you have purchased the first item. Otherwise, all items are sent following cleared payment.