A Chinese Ivory Nautilus Snuff Bottle
Early 20th century. Scarce.
- Item # 426239
- Qty Available 1
Looking for a conversation piece that's both visually stunning and delightfully tactile? Now available for purchase is this beautiful Chinese snuff bottle made of ivory in the shape of a cephalopod called Nautilus. While it's only 3 inches in length, its tactile nature will have you running your fingers over every curve.
This bottle was used to hold perfume. It is in great condition, complete, and very nicely carved.
Nautiluses have a distinctive spiral-shaped, chambered shell that they use for buoyancy control and protection. They are often referred to as living fossils because they are one of the few surviving members of a group of cephalopods that were abundant about 400 million years ago, during the Paleozoic era. Nautiluses have a limited ability to swim, and they primarily move by jet propulsion, expelling water from their mantle cavity.
Note: This is a unique, hand-carved item. Please look at all photos closely to evaluate its condition as this is the exact item you will receive.
This listing is subject to export control and cannot be exported from Canada. The import or export of goods containing ivory, whale bone, sealskin, or items made from other endangered or protected species is often prohibited or restricted, and the import or export of such goods frequently calls for specific licenses or permissions. The purchaser is in charge of ensuring that the item is correctly and legally exported or imported. For further information, don't hesitate to get in touch with one of our experts.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require more photographs to evaluate condition.
- If you live in the GTA, we can arrange pickup so you save on shipping costs.
- If you are interested in selling something similar - we buy, one item or an entire collection, please contact us.
Shipping and Terms & Conditions
- PLEASE WAIT FOR INVOICE BEFORE MAKING YOUR PAYMENT SO WE CAN CALCULATE AND INCLUDE TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS.
- CANADIAN BUYERS PAY APPLICABLE TAXES. More information about how we apply taxes.
- We ship within 3-5 business days of receiving payment.
- Items are guaranteed to be authentic and as described. For additional security, we offer a money-back guarantee should a recognized authority argue the authenticity of any item sold.
- We strive to be fair and specific in our descriptions. Please read each auction and bid carefully, as all sales are final.
- Shipping and handling fees are non-refundable. Restocking and other fees may be applicable as well.
- We do not offer refunds unless an item is inadvertently misrepresented (see above). Should a refund be given, it will be only for the cost of the item.
- We will make every attempt to resolve the issue if we inadvertently make a mistake (it happens). If you have any questions, pre- or post-purchase, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- International Buyers: please note that import duties, taxes, and other charges are not included in the item price or shipping fees. These costs are the buyer’s responsibility. We describe items correctly on customs forms.
- In some cases, we are able to combine multiple items to save shipping costs. If you plan to purchase more than one item, delay payment and contact us after you have purchased the first item. Otherwise, all items are sent following cleared payment.