A.C. Williams Darkey Sharecropper Coin Still Bank, Black Americana
Late 19th-early 20th century. Made of black cast iron.
- Item # 481866
- Qty Available 1
Presented for sale today is an antique, black cast iron, coin still bank manufactured by A.C. Williams as a caricatured man. It is in excellent condition with a few bits of remaining paint. The patina of the black cast iron looks great. Toes are delineated on the right foot, while the left foot lacks defined toes. Two part mold with coin slot. The upper back of the figure features a rectangular slot designed for inserting coins. Great posture and a delightful hat!
A coin bank resembling this one can be found within the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, as part of the generous gift from the Collection of James M. Caselli and Jonathan Mark Scharer.
Weight: 400 grams, height: 5.4 inches.
This item depicts imagery and language that may be considered racist and/or stereotypical. We acknowledge that these representations can be offensive and disturbing. However, we believe it is essential to include them in our collection to preserve and present the historical context in which they were created and used.
These objects serve as important historical records, allowing us to study and evaluate the history of racism and stereotypes. Our intention is not to promote or endorse such views but to provide a platform for critical reflection on the past and the progress made toward a more equitable future.
We encourage viewers to approach these items with sensitivity and a commitment to understanding the complex history they represent. By confronting the uncomfortable aspects of our past, we can work together to build a more inclusive and just society.
Discover a diverse selection of collectible cast iron banks in our marketplace, including some wonderfully rare finds.
- Feel free to evaluate its condition from the detailed photographs. If you have any questions about its condition, or would you like to review higher resolution photographs, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- If you live in the GTA, we can arrange pickup so you save on shipping costs.
- If you are interested in selling a similar item - we buy, one item or an entire collection. Please contact us.
Shipping and Terms & Conditions
- PLEASE WAIT FOR INVOICE BEFORE MAKING YOUR PAYMENT SO WE CAN CALCULATE AND INCLUDE TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS, WHERE APPLICABLE.
- CANADIAN BUYERS PAY APPLICABLE TAXES. More information about how we apply taxes.
- We ship within 3-5 business days of receiving payment.
- Items are guaranteed to be authentic and as described. For additional security, we offer a money-back guarantee should a recognized authority argue the authenticity of any item sold.
- We strive to be fair and specific in our descriptions. Please read each auction and bid carefully, as all sales are final.
- Shipping and handling fees are non-refundable. Restocking and other fees may be applicable as well.
- We do not offer refunds unless an item is inadvertently misrepresented (see above). Should a refund be given, it will be only for the cost of the item.
- We will make every attempt to resolve the issue if we inadvertently make a mistake (it happens). If you have any questions, pre- or post-purchase, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- International Buyers: please note that import duties, taxes, and other charges are not included in the item price or shipping fees. These costs are the buyer’s responsibility. We describe items correctly on customs forms.
- In some cases, we are able to combine multiple items to save shipping costs. If you plan to purchase more than one item, delay payment and contact us after you have purchased the first item. Otherwise, all items are sent following cleared payment.